Only some urgent care clinics can do ultrasounds because, though they are versatile tools, they’re rarely needed unless it’s a true emergency. In that case, your doctor will likely order one for you before you can even ask, “Do urgent cares do ultrasounds?”
Ultrasounds are normally scheduled for routine checkups (e.g., pregnancy) or emergencies, with little in-between. That’s why many urgent care clinics, including Coastal Urgent Care of Bossier & Haughton, do not have a sonographer on staff.
That being said, it’s our goal to provide everyone compassionate, comprehensive care. We’re equipped with onsite vital diagnostic technology like digital X-rays and electrocardiogram (EKG) as well as an on-site lab for things like blood tests and urinalysis, so you can get the answers and treatment you need, fast.
What are the benefits of digital X-rays?
Getting x-rays at an urgent care clinic can not only ease your mind, but it can also save you hours of time and the expense of a visit to the emergency room. Coastal Urgent Care of Bossier & Haughton provides digital X-rays, so you can receive a diagnosis and appropriate medical treatment, quickly. Digital X-rays are also a safer and more effective tool for producing diagnostic images. They offer several benefits over traditional X-rays, including:
- Digital X-rays can be viewed almost instantly, while film-based X-rays require 5-10 minutes to develop.
- Digital X-rays produce 80% less radiation than traditional X-rays. A typical digital X-ray exposes you to a similar amount of radiation as a full-body scanner at an airport.
- Digital X-rays are easier to view and manipulate because they download to a computer screen. Filters can be applied, and the technician can zoom in on certain areas to help them make a more accurate diagnosis.
- Digital X-rays are more cost-effective than traditional X-rays because there is no film to develop, store or retrieve. Everything is stored virtually and can be accessed and shared quickly among primary care physicians, specialists, and urgent care clinics.
What are the benefits of an EKG?
An electrocardiogram (EKG) is a test used to measure the heart’s electrical activity. During the test, several electrodes (small, plastic patches) are placed at certain spots on the chest, arm, and legs. Each electrode connects to a wire that is then connected to the EKG machine, which records the impulses of the heart. Once the test is complete, a medical professional interprets the printout to understand how fast your heart is beating, whether your heartbeats are steady or irregular, the strength of the heartbeats, and the timing of the electrical impulses as they move through the different chambers of the heart. All of this information can help diagnose potential heart-related conditions.
When you visit an urgent care clinic with concerns about your heart health, the doctors can perform an EKG to evaluate and/or determine the cause of:
- Chest tightness, pain, or fluttering
- Abnormally fast or slow heart rate
- Shortness of breath
- Irregular heartbeats
What are the benefits of an on-site lab?
Having access to an on-site lab helps doctors and medical staff diagnose and treat infectious conditions quickly. When you visit Coastal Urgent Care of Bossier & Haughton for a suspected urinary tract infection, flu virus, strep throat, or sexually transmitted disease (STD), we can test and diagnose your condition on the same day using urine, blood, or saliva samples. The biggest benefit of having access to an on-site lab is a rapid diagnosis, which allows you to begin treatment faster and feel better sooner.
Wondering if you need ultrasound services? Unless you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, we encourage you to visit the skilled specialists at Coastal Urgent Care of Bossier/Haughton 7 days a week. Walk-ins welcome. We offer a comprehensive set of high-quality medical services so you can get the treatment you need to feel better fast.